Monday, 14 September 2009

Thinking of Spring

This is 400 mixed Daffodil and Narcissus bulbs.

For this location I am not using the obvious choice - Narcissus Pseudonarcissus (the native flower which inspired Wordsworth). A local gardener whose advice I always heed suggested I use a mixture in order to extend the flowering season and that makes sense. I'll use native bulbs in lawns where they will naturalise.

This is goodness knows how many more when I have taken last Spring's bulbs out of their temporary pots.

And THIS is 70 feet of prepared ground waiting to be planted.

I've divided it up into ten 7 foot sections and know that I am putting off starting the job when I find myself thinking that catching up with paperwork & getting all the ironing done sounds like a good idea. Hazel - I know it doesn't have to be done all in one go but you know what Bag End is like and if I don't knuckle down and crack on then another year will go by . . .

These faded beauties are bird-sown. I love sunflowers but these two are even more special than usual - they both opened their first flowers the day Ollie died, which you'd think would make me very sad, but it doesn't. I am hoping the birds will leave a few seeds for me to save and sow again next year.

6 comments:

  1. That's a lot of bulbs to plant, but if the ground's already prepared it should go (fairly) quickly. Have you collected some seed from the sunflowers for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 25' frontage took about an hour to plant up (but with admittedly fewer bulbs) so a long morning with a coffee break should sort it out...!

    Did you invest in a bulb planter? Mind you, if your ground is loose enough down to 8" or so, you could bodge a hole with a fat stick for each bulb & drop 'em in, which would be a cinch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 25' in an hour - hmmm, I have a feeling you work MUCH faster than me.

    Ground is very loose and never stood on. Stood go fairly fast but even so, it will take a while. So why am I still piddling around indoors at 9.30am when I've been up since 7.00?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that just looks so full of life. I can just smell the dirt. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you must have a strong back Bilbo with all that digging ;o) it'll be glorious with all those bulbs sown

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penny, it smells more interesting than you might imagine - there's a ton of well rotting cow muck as the base for the soil (none of which was there at the beginning of this year, it was just a mess of stones). Details on entry for 12th July.

    Nic, I was working at waist level all day, for once my back wasn't being tortured in the name of horticulture.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}