Wednesday, 30 September 2009

I should have been doing something else

I ought to have spent Tuesday in the loft, we're having new insulation fitted at the end of October and before then I need to get the old, dirty, compressed and useless stuff bagged up and onto the driveway in readiness for a large skip.

Instead, I decided "finished is better than perfect" and went from this:

to this:

In an ideal world I would continue with double (triple?) digging the soil out of each vegetable bed, removing all the stones and generally making life hard for myself. This is not an ideal world. Since the original design was conceived, our planting plans have changed (plans change at Bag End, surely not?) and the current idea is that this area will mostly contain perennial vegetables and soft fruit therefore I have convinced myself that a normal level of soil preparation will be more than adequate. In fact, it might work very well - filling one bed with blueberries means it will be easier to give them the acid soil they need.


This is how it looked back in April after John and his digger had attacked it, didn't plan on it taking nearly six months to get the beds built, hey ho, at least they are done now.

Still got a lot of finishing to do - the beds need tweaking into their final positions, anchoring stakes inside, soil to be dug, perennial weeds and largest stones to be removed, lots of (now) well rotted cow manure added but at least they are tidy whilst I do things in the house.

9 comments:

  1. Well, they've certainly come on a lot. You'll look back when you have everything bristling with veggies and know it was worth all of the hard work. Plus the bees will thank you with fresh honey from your nectar bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have achieved a lot. Obviously your over what ever knocked you for six last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coo - 4 beds in one day! What a difference - it looks very good indeed - well done!

    Quick q - if these beds end up housing your perennial crops/fruit bushes, where are you going to grow spuds/beans/salad/brassicas/peas etc etc etc...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's starting to look like you mean business!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS is that curly kale or the world's most vigorous parlsey??

    ReplyDelete
  6. James - I don't actually plan to harvest the honey, I just want to provide a good home for the bees and benefit from their pollination.

    Thanks Angela, still coughing!

    Hazel - the garlic will go at the ends of the artichoke or rhubarb beds, bean wigwams in those long borders to give summer height, toms, cucumber, peppers, etc., in the g/house, no idea about the rest but I am sure I'll find a spot. The green stuff taking over the corners is a Triffid formerly known as Parsley. Want some?

    Flummery - we seem to make progress in chunks rather than nice and steadily. How are my neices?

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS: doesn't Flummery's Swiss Chard look splendid. That too is related to the Triffid and is growing so strongly I can hardly keep up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As much as I love my higgledy piggledy plot there's something very enticing about neat and ordered raised beds. Good to see the progress, I see Ollie supervised the dig. Was lovely to see him on Matron's dogblog. N x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blimey - that is some parsley! Must devote a bit of a bed to some at the Hill next year - it apparently makes exceedingly good wine, but you need tons of the stuff! Actually it's good stuff all round, clears the palate and is good for the blood - go & google!

    I have one chard plant (mahoooosive!) that hasn't bolted which will be welcome through winter - sadly it's a weedy yellowy leaved type not the rich red-stemmed one that you have (acres!) of.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}