Thursday, 24 September 2009

Beyond tired or a bug?

Thursday - 4 hours grass cutting
Friday - digging bulb bed, 3 hours grass cutting
Sunday - moving timber by Log Store
Monday - sorting bulbs
Tuesday & Wednesday - bulb planting all day
Friday, Saturday, Sunday - moving leylandii brush and logs all day
Sunday night - bonfire

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - not a lot! Undecided whether it is complete exhaustion or some icky headachey bug.


He's 6 foot tall, the pile is more than 35 feet long and about 10 feet wide: 80 cubic yards!

Now we can actually get to the big stumps they make quite a good vantage point!



Once again, no photos of the actual fire - I was too busy either getting beer for the workers or raking up bits of small debris. It is possible that we will only need one more significant bonfire before we're rid of ALL OF THE LEYLANDII so I really need to get a bit smarter and remember the camera next time.

The aftermath:


The Coppice area is now clear of rubbish. We're talking to John about using the digger to level off the soil in some areas but undecided about planting. We have some ideas, but suggestions gratefully welcomed.

This may be the first time we have been able to see all the way to the bottom of the garden.

I realise my terminology might be confusing - I call that the bottom but it is at the front of the plot, however, it's the bottom of the slope. Similarly with the Coppice - I call that the top of the garden even though it is at the back of the house.



We can now see the extent of some of the huge tree stumps - not a pretty sight. John and his digger are going to be busy for days removing this lot (14 in total). Remember when it looked like this?
March 2008, looking from the driveway to the corner that is now completely cleared.


or this?
October 2008

I'm really pleased with how much progress has been made during September; don't expect to get much more done outside this month. Have a few bits of work scheduled for indoors which will take most of my time.

19 comments:

  1. "we will only need one more significant bonfire before we're rid of ALL OF THE LEYLANDII"

    and

    "The Coppice area is now clear of rubbish"

    and

    "This may be the first time we have been able to see all the way to the bottom of the garden"

    How satisfying are those phrases? I bet there were times that you never thought that you'd be saying them!

    Great progress indeed - no wonder you are pleased - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both! It sounds like you've got the icky headachey bug that's doing the rounds, but you've got it because your defences are a bit low due to being so physically tired! I did exactly the same thing - rest up and enjoy the fruits of your (hard) labour. You have been busy and deserve a rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is your well and truely knackered.

    Looking back at the old photos must give you a real sense of satisfaction knowing how much you have achieved already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get back the ooomph soon Bilbo. Well done on all the clearing. You'll have to have an Anti-leylandii celebration when the last bit is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Hazel - yes it is HUGELY satisfying and I have got a lot of pleasure this week just looking at the space (and then fretting about how the h*ll I am going to plant a garden this big!)

    Hello Scarlett, thanks for leaving a comment. I'm reassured to know that there is "something doing the rounds" although I have to laugh - wanted to get on with some decorating this week but the Universe has her own way of making me take a break {smile}.

    Angela, have spent ages looking at old pictures - it is already hard to believe how big those trees were.

    Flummery, thanks poppet, I suspect when the last bit of Leylandii goes on the bonfire corks will pop!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "(and then fretting about how the h*ll I am going to plant a garden this big!)"

    Honestly - there's no pleasing some peeps! {grin}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly - there's no pleasing some peeps!

    Behave yourself, you're sounding like Himself!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am I missing something here but haven't you already started planting up your garden or doesn't planting 675 bulbs count?

    ReplyDelete
  9. blimey Bilbo, even God had a rest on day 7 (and didn't start again!) I think you're entitled to a break to sit back and admire :o) and your head is obviously trying to prescribe a little horizontal sofa time x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela - oh yes, I'd forgotten about the bulbs (shows you how tired I am, ha ha ha)

    Nic - wait until you know me a bit better, I'm not terribly good at doing nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ''The Coppice area is now clear of rubbish. We're talking to John about using the digger to level off the soil in some areas but undecided about planting. We have some ideas, but suggestions gratefully welcomed.''
    You'll probably swear at me for using the 'T' word - but what about fruit trees?

    ReplyDelete
  12. No swearing, promise! The T word is very welcome here, it's the "L" (for leylandii) word that will get you a smack.

    I did think about a mini orchard but this is under the copper beech and I don't think it will get enough sun. Hope you can come and give professional advice in November . . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it's professional advice you want - you'll end up growing sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's hazel trees you can grow in the coppice for a start (hard not to capitialise that!)

    You might end up growing hazel (and that!) nuts just for the reds, but it would save you a fortune in feed...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hazel - 100% spot on. Growing our own red squirrel food is HIGH on the list of possibilities for that area.

    A little Spring under-planting of winter aconite & snowdrops followed by native bluebells?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you and Hazel have got the Coppice area sorted already. Now you just need to sort out the other 10 acres or so.

    Yesterday on our local news they ran a story about hazel and how they'd just transplanted a whole wood in order to make way for a road. I actually thought of you and your coppice. Maybe I'll make a gardener yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, but now you're talking flowers - & you've lost me. {g}

    Are truffles a possibility...?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Geez that's a lot of work. I had already thought about putting a note in Bilbo's box for the items to continue the journey to Dirt Princess..I wil be sending her a seperate box of items from here...don't thinks it's polite to ask others to pay for the weight postage...

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}