Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Wood-burning stove, part 1

After months of waiting, mainly because we are great at making plans but not so great at actually organising to have jobs done, Stuart & Adam from the Fireplace Centre arrived this morning to begin work. I wish I had thought to take the "before" picture before I took down ornaments, pictures, moved curtains ( I am not as organised as SewAli) but I'm not putting it all back again just for the sake of a snapshot so I found one taken last Christmas (~must~ do something about the curtains . . . sigh . . . add it to The List).


In just five hours we went from this (I want it firmly understood that I did not choose any of the decor - it's what was here when we moved in)

via this

to this


which might look awful to anyone else but I love it - which shows how much I hated what was there!

Considerably less mess than I expected, although there are a significant number of rubble sacks on the drive. We covered all the furniture with plastic dust sheets which seemed to surprise the guys - apparently not many people do that, d'uh?

Looking forward to tomorrow when the register plate is fitted and the first coat of render goes in the fireplace, hopefully the replacement lintel too - although I have been promised that nothing is going to fall down I'll be much happier when a large concrete slab is supporting the front of the chimney!

We still have to finalise the stove we want and that decision will confirm the size of hearth. Hopefully we can do those things on Thursday when Management is working at home and we can nip into Maryport at lunchtime. The timing is perfect - even though it is early August the seasons are definitely turning and some evenings there is a definite "nip" in the air. We are looking forward to lighting it (or are we just looking forward to seeing the demise of some of that darn Leylandii?)

8 comments:

  1. Woo hoo, how exciting! It looks a reasonable sized hole, I'm sure you'll be able to have the stove you want in there. And I'm sure your installation isn't going to have quite as many parts as ours LOL!! It's so exciting lighting your first fire, and doubly so as you'll be getting rid of some of the enemy trees. It's going to take you a while to get through them all though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to make such a difference to the room. You're right about the end of summer too. We were saying that yesterday evening when we had to batten down the hatches about 7pm and turn lights on by 8pm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better than throwing out something you hated that came with the hosue.

    Your more organised than me. It took me 10 years and one husband later before I got rid of the fireplace or decorated our living room.

    Having just booked to camp up there in September don't like the sound of the nip in the air. One time when we camped in the Lakes that late we awoke to a frozen tent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now all you need is a nice sheepskin to adorn the floor and you're away :)

    http://skyeskins.co.uk/lifestyle.asp 4th image down takes my fancy. Well, that's how I want my woodburner when we get round to sorting out a new carpet etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SewAli, did you do the thing of first lighting a small fire to condition the stove?

    QuiltSue, don't tell, but I even put the central heating on for 30 minutes . . . just to take the chill off but I am damned annoyed I had to do it.

    Angela, panic not. Go back and look at the garden blog for last September. It was lovely the afternoon you were here for tea and the rest of the month wasn't bad.

    Granny, another reason for you to come back to Cumbria sometime!

    James, sorry friend, don't normally disagree with you but on this occasion I'll say the only hairy thing I want in front of the fire has four legs and goes WOOF! Don't think we will be ready for another canine companion for a very long time, but one day ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jayne,

    Was interested to read about your intended log burning stove. David has been trying to persuade me for some time to get rid of our open fire and change to one. I am still undecided! I do know that feeling of getting rid of something you hate that came with the house though and I love the smell of new cement and plaster!!! It usually signifies a change to something nicer! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jill,
    Had an open fire in a previous house and whilst they are wonderful (and I love sitting in front of the fire at Oak Cottage!) they are dirty and inefficient compared to a stove. I think the latest figures are that you get something like 25-30% of heat in a room with an open fire (the rest warms the chimney) and 65 - 75% with a multi-fuel stove. We've chosen one with a big door with no tracery so we can see the flames.

    Now waiting for the hearth to be cut - Cumbrian green slate, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I am slowly being persuaded Jayne. Looking forward to the pics of your finished stoveplace! Jill

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}