Friday, 24 July 2009

Maintenance

Leaving most of the grass uncut is giving us some unexpected wildflowers (who knew there were orchids in three places?) but eventually even wildflowers and grasses go to seed and have to be cut back.

Yesterday spent over four hours cutting lawn that is usually left alone but it does look quite tidy this morning! (that's tidy by Bag End standards . . .)



The birds have kindly sown some cereal crops for us (and hopefully R. will tell me exactly what!)

Although it probably doesn't look like it, spent a lot of time tidying up the area in front of the log store in readiness for shed & greenhouse bases,

Not much progress on the raised beds area, the enviromesh has just been draped over laths, my minimal woodworking skills are not in the mood to make proper frames at present. This picture does at least show how the ground slopes away and why getting the wooden frames level is extremely frustrating!

This is the area at the front we cleared a couple of months ago. Eventually I would like to plant a willow screen to make a seating area but for now we're growing an excellent crop of ground elder.

The buddleia has done better than expected after a severe chop in the Spring, nearly over now.

Butterfly enjoying the last of the bramble flowers.

I was surprised to find, behind some weeds, this raspberry - didn't know we had it but it appears the birds have found it before me. Amused to find it in this location because it's one of the spots I am considering for fruit bushes in the future.

11 comments:

  1. I see the garden has lured you back again!

    Is the purple flower in the top left pic Selfheal? I have loads in my lawn too.

    Spent ages quietly reading in the garden lately then David goes out to sit for half an hour and a young fox wanders in, almost up to him! How unfair is that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all looking good Bilbo. Our churchyard 'haymeadow' has been cut - raking next week I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill, yes, the purple flower is self-heal. We have loads of it and a small competition as to whether I love it more than the bees. You are welcome to the fox, not seen any up here although they must be around. When we get Bag End Hens, Raynaud will not be welcome.

    VegHeaven - you won't be surprised, I want a scythe! One of those proper really expensive Austrian ones {grin}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rachel! Not quite enough for a loaf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy, again. Is the greenhouse imminent now then?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe enough for a Hobbit loaf? I'd let it ripen before you try milling it though, or it could be a tad messy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel,
    Management was wondering this afternoon . . . he wants to know how much wheat he'd have to grow to get enough flour for a couple of loaves. (That's M. sized loaves, not hobbit-sized ones)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue,
    Greenhouse and shed are a bit nearer, but it would be a little premature to say imminent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The whole garden ought to be enough. Tell him to make sure he chooses a milling variety though as most are grown for animal feed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Rachel, that ought to nix that little idea {grin}, I'll just enjoy the self-sown plants which the birds supply and continue to get our flour from Carr's (milled in Cumbria).

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}