Monday, 13 July 2009

How to drive yourself absolutely NUTS

It's easy - make a raised bed frame using four machine-cut planks of equal width and depth, then try to get the blasted thing level on ground which slopes from front to back AND from right to left.

Spent the afternoon driving myself NUTS trying to get the frame level. If I propped up one side it made another edge uneven. Digging out more turf to sink a high edge did not actually help at the low side .... GRRRRRRRRRR ... eventually I settled on Plan B.

Plan B is simple - sod it and leave the blasted frame uneven. When all 8 are done (the first three are not straight either!) I will spend a day levelling them all. I have this idea that if I start at the two highest (nearest the house), straighten them as best as I can and adjust the lower ones in relation to the highest . . . well, it sound good in theory. I suppose there is always a chance we'll move to Plan C but I don't want to contemplate that right now.

J. not here this afternoon because it rained on & off all morning and is raining now, he's coming tomorrow afternoon instead. Hopefully I can get the frame settled in the morning before he arrives because he's going to help put BACK all the soil he took out on Saturday whilst taking out the stones and adding lots of cow manure!

13 comments:

  1. Are you going to be like the chap who keeps sawing bits off the chair leg to make it level only to end up sitting on the seat on the floor...? {grin}

    Don't beat yoursef up about it - find a way to soften the edges of the beds and so less-than-perfect doesn't jump out at you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, I'm the hobbit who will keep propping up each "leg" so that it ends up much higher than originally planned - and I can justify that by saying "whoopee, greater depth of soil in my raised bed".

    In truth it doesn't look too bad and once planted you won't see the wonky edges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years of veggie growing in those beds will make every thing look OK - they will sink when it rains and lever up when roots get under them!!! Leave 'em be girl!! you are just making work for you self. Glad that young man is coming back to help do the hard stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in Granny's camp. I don't do perfection! I'm a very laid back gardener. I keep saying I'm an impressionist. If you can give the impression it's straight, it will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right Flummery, but only to a point. The only way you could get the impression that some of this timber was straight is if you had consumed a significant quantity of Hazel's wine. Come to think of it, that might not be such a bad idea . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'ere - you're being a bit free 'n easy with my wine, young hobbit - I'll be having to lock it away from prying quilters soon! {grin}

    Mind you, had a bottle of piesporter out with dinner the other evening (up near Flum's way, as it happens) and it was rather ordinary compared to the 2nd batch of this year's rhubarb wine bottled the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be willing to bet that once you got some plants growing in them you wouldn't notice if they were level or not, you'd be so excited about growing things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The Vintner on the Hill", hmm, has quite a nice ring to it!

    Sue, I promise to start planting asap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Afriad I'm with the rest, leave them be and see if you can live with them first, after all it's not as if you don't have the odd job or two(hundred) to be doing instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing really - you're all intelligent women and you know me, and yet you STILL suggest I leave the wonky boards nice and uneven.

    Has time dimmed your recollections of a Type A obsessive compulsive personality with an eye that can spot an uneven ¼" seam at 20 paces?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Has time dimmed your recollections of a Type A obsessive compulsive personality with an eye that can spot an uneven ¼" seam at 20 paces?

    You need help LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angela said: You need help LOL


    I know dear, I know ....... {{{ LOL }}}

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}