Friday, 24 July 2009

Beardie Biscuits

The home-made biscuits came about not because I am an absolute fool who would do anything for our beloved Beardie {giggle} but because Ollie is beef intolerant. If you look closely at the ingredients list on nearly all dog treats you'll see the horrible item "Animal Derivatives" which basically means abattoir slurry - water reclaimed 'stuff'.

Many years ago I used to buy a canine pastry treat from a company called Pascoe's. Although they still make complete animal feeds, the treats are no longer available so I tried to work out how to bake our own. To cut a long story sideways, we've ended up with a version of Hot Water Crust Pastry (the stuff you make pork pies with) and on a bad day when Ollie will not eat anything, I can usually get him to have two or three of these.


2 oz cooking margarine
2 oz Trex vegetable fat (you could use lard)

4 tablespoons milk

4 tablespoons water

12 oz plain flour


optional (but greatly appreciated by Hairy One) - 1 tablespoon cod liver oil


Put all ingredients except flour in a saucepan and heat gently, stir to mix or swirl contents of pan around. As mixture comes to the boil, tip all the flour in, remove from heat and stir like crazy with a wooden spoon.

It won't be long before your spoon makes no further progress and you have to mix by hand. I put on a clean washing up glove - the mixture is HOT. Mix by hand and knead as if you were making dough. In about 2 minutes you have a smooth, glossy paste.

Break into portion sized lumps (you could roll it into a sausage and cut slices if you wanted to be neat) and place on baking parchment.

20 minutes at 200 degrees.

I store in a glass cookie jar and they would keep a couple of weeks but they don't last that long. They take about as long to make as it has taken you to read this - and because the mixing is done in the saucepan there is virtually no washing up!

If you wanted to really spoil the four-paws in question, brushing the tops with beaten egg before baking also works well . . .

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant - thank you for this, now duly printed for making at the week.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}