Wednesday, 17 June 2009

You are not going to believe our latest visitor

'cos I'm not sure I do.

Just after 7.00pm I was on the phone to a relative when the conversation took a familiar turn: "sorry, got to go, there's a bird I can't identify in the garden and I need to get the binoculars".

By sitting on the kitchen work surface I was able to see our unexpected visitor and did not need the binoculars.

But I desperately wish I had not been able to take these pictures; to be able to get so close to a Kingfisher means the bird is ill or injured. I should not have been able to move around within 100 paces of a healthy bird, (I was not as close as you might think, but using a zoom lens on maximum.)

Then the heavens opened again so I went back outside and was able to gently come up behind the bird and place one of the green cages over it (this is standard practise at Bag End to protect window-strike victims until they are strong enough to fly away). I also added a kitchen tray and the door mat to give some weather protection. I'm not going near it again tonight, do not want to cause any more stress. It is possible to see the bird from husband's office window and it seems to be sitting up, fairly alert, certainly holding itself upright.
(this taken from office window before I moved the green cage)
Whatever Deity you believe in, pray that this beautiful creature regains its strength overnight and is able to fly away. I have never seen a Kingfisher before, would never have believed that my first sighting would be in our garden, and I don't want to have to move such a beautiful body in the morning.

5 comments:

  1. I remember seeing them when I was fishing as a ten year old with my father - always a moment of excitement when one appeared on a branch on the opposite bank.

    I presume if it's still there in the morning you will be seeking help/advice as it would be such a shame otherwise. Let's hope that the poor thing can make it through the night. Perhaps you'll be fishing minnows out of the Derwent tomorrow!

    Such beautiful colouring. Never a dull moment at Bag End is there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have them on the land-drain at the end of the village. Beautiful creature. We last saw one on Friday last week when we went to the farm with the cornflowers - just about 4 miles from us. They are not a common site but are not rare. Always a frisson of excitement to see one flash by though. Hope yours recovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, you've probably seen the update. Sounds like I have done as much this evening as I could have done. Terry was quite certain that the stress of being put in a box tonight and driven over to Wetheriggs could probably kill the poor little thing and its best chance is under the cage.

    Just pray that the stoat does not choose tonight to come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolute beauty - although I'd have prefered not to have seen it in these circumstances.

    Many fingers crossed here for a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}