Monday, 29 June 2009

Wildlife Update: Wasp and Kingfisher

Wasps: after a nervous few hours (that's me being nervous, not the wasps), it now looks like they have abandoned the soil pile and are using the beautiful papery nest which we moved. Fingers crossed this continues.

Kingfisher: not good news. I've just called Terry at Wetheriggs. Our little bird did well for four days, was eating strongly and all of a sudden - died. They did a post-mortem and found that the broken wishbone was not healing at all. Conclusion is that she died of stress/trauma, perhaps pain - who knows, but as the bone was not healing then she could never have flown and did not have a future. I'm not as sad as I thought I would be - at least we tried and gave her a chance.

4 comments:

  1. Such a shame about the kingfisher, but as you say, you gave her a chance she wouldn't otherwise have had.

    Looks like you might need to stock your planned pond with minnows and provide some well-placed perches when you get round to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to hear that Miss Kingfisher didn't make it - however, you gave her the best possible chance, and to look on the bright side, this means that you have kingfishers very close by.

    Better news on the wasp nest front tho' - well done again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. That's a shame. You were so looking forward to her re-release too. At least you gave her the best chance you could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you might need to stock your planned pond with minnows and provide some well-placed perches when you get round to it

    Strewth - now THERE'S an idea . . .

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}