Thursday, 11 June 2009

More Progress

Not sure how because it wasn't planned, but I was outside in the sunshine by 8.15 this morning. Finished filling the third raised bed, moved all the clods of turf to their hiding place behind the front wall, where, in about two years time, they will have metamorphosed into lovely crumbly loam (well, that's what I told them when I emptied the wheelbarrow!) Came in just as it started raining (11.30) but sadly, we only had about 10 minutes precipitation. If I am to get anything planted in those beds I will have to bite the bullet and put the hose on them.

With Management at home to Ollie-sit, I escaped this afternoon to look for a garden shed. Found a nice family-run firm outside Whitehaven but their prices bear no relation to the real world so I stroked the dog, said thank you, and left.

Stopped off at Kays Horticulture on the way back. Oh what a JOY, a died-and-gone-to-heaven-experience. I've ordered from them in the past - prices good, service good, but to find I am now less than half an hour away from a huge warehouse full of every gardening accessory you could ever need is just bliss!

It was lovely to be out in the sun, driving around with a view of the fells, but I hadn't found a shed. Management and I made a cuppa, sat down in front of the PC, and an hour later have a decision, which is typical of us . . . must nag Alan to come and pour a concrete base for it!


I wonder what it would be like to be the sort of person who spends the week sitting on their backside, flicking through magazines, talking on the phone and ignoring all the errands. . . ha, chance would be a fine thing!

5 comments:

  1. I think that you may have been away from your quilting for too long if you have been sewing your seeds! {grin} But it's really good to see you getting your hands mucky in such a postive way!

    Honestly, you must feel that you are on the home straight now with proper plants and everything!

    I'm not altogether sure that being '... less than half an hour away from a huge warehouse full of every gardening accessory you could ever need... is a good thing, though - a temptation too far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You asked: "I wonder what it would be like to be the sort of person who spends the week sitting on their backside, flicking through magazines, talking on the phone and ignoring all the errands", I answer: "wonderful"!! I reckon I get all the excercise I need reading your blog. (gg)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hazel, trust me, being so close to Kays is wonderful! Could get expensive yes, but still wonderful. When you come up here on holiday I shall take you for a visit, it is the sort of place you'd never stumble upon by accident.

    As for sewing and sowing - hell, it's all being creative, and it was only a matter of time before that particular typo crept in.

    Sue - silly girl! Is that fence finished yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there I was thinking the lack of posts this week meant you were having a restful week or maybe gone away on holiday.

    Great progress. I bet it feels great tp be planing seeds etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Angela, yes, it's been a good week!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}