Saturday, 20 June 2009

Boring but essential

A slow start after a nice (but late) dinner out on Friday night.

Despite my "intention" (see, I didn't say plan because that is a 4-letter word!) to continue working on the raised beds until they're finished, we have decided to clear the large brush pile from the front corner. With Management at home, two of us can achieve three or four times as much as I can manage on my own, and even though we did not start until after 12.00, we made a heck of a difference.

The little green trolley once again proved that it is one of the best things we have purchased.

Does it look like we shifted 9 or 10 cart loads (tried to keep count but failed . . .)

It wasn't warm enough for the honeysuckle to emit much scent but it looks terrific at the moment and the Escallonia is coming into flower and covered in bees (as is the clover-filled lawn).


One of the reasons for the slow start was much time spent watching two different red squirrel. On one occasion when I was looking through binoculars instead of the camera the darker one showed a very enlarged nipple - most definitely the sign of a mum who is either suckling kittens at the moment, or who has only just finished doing so. Of course, once I had the camera to hand she refused to pose quite as nicely again but if you click on this picture to enlarge then you can see definite signs of motherhood (back button to return).

The other squirrel is much smaller and has an almost grey back (NO, don't panic, it is definitely a red).

5 comments:

  1. Your reds are just so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wonderful to see red squirrels! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes there is certainly a big differnece between the before and after pictures.

    Love the pictures of the squirrels, I can see why they caused a delayed start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I don't know why the sum of two people working is greater than their parts, but there you go.

    You've made another good step forward with brush moving - you don't know how envious I am of the cart!

    The reds are wonderful as ever - lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bird-sown honeysuckles in random places in the garden but I can't bear to hoik them out. I've a really fragrant one in a gooseberry bush but it's staying. There's room for beauty AND utility in any garden!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}