Thursday, 16 April 2009

A typical day at Bag End

(or, why it is very silly to make plans around here)

I was doing well this morning, got binding partly on a quilted piece before breakfast (by machine, need to hand finish). This is a CHRISTMAS PRESENT for some dear friends, as it was quilted in November I think it's about time I finish it and as I am having lunch with them tomorrow, nothing like a deadline to get me going.


THEN I had to walk up to a neighbour who'd given me some chitted potatoes but I cannot get soil ready in time to plant them so I decided to be honest and return them. I was dreading do so but it was either that or spend the whole summer telling fibs about the fate of a batch of early spuds! Seemed to have earned brownie points for telling the truth.

THEN I called in at another neighbour who might have been able to help me locate our water mains stopcock. She couldn't because the hole in the pavement which I thought might contain our stopcock contains hers. Fortunately another friend is now trying to contact a mate who has had some success with dowsing rods. Seeing as the stopcock is not where the Utility Company think it is, water divining seems like a sensible option.

THEN, I came home, made coffee for Management and I and was just about to finish machine binding when we had a phone call from friend in the village. He and "a mate with a digger" were doing some work in his garden and to cut a long story short, they'd pulled down two self-sown Sycamore Trees (about 30 foot tall - each) and had completely blocked the track behind his house and they were in deep sh*t. "Could I come up with my chainsaw and get them out of trouble?" So Management and I spent an efficient hour logging up two trees. Mucho brownie points earned and then it was time for lunch . . .


I was planning on nipping into Keswick on Friday morning to drop off two blunted chainsaw chains, efforts with the cherry stump and today's sycamore have finished off both of them! Management would pick them up in the afternoon on his way back from a meeting as we want them both for the weekend. However, sharpening man in Keswick not in tomorrow so I had to take the chains in immediately.

Home around 5.00, quickly finished machine binding then started on supper which meant that I commenced hand finishing the binding under artificial light - not clever when the binding is a deep, solid black.


And I wonder why I usually feel I never accomplish anything in this place!

5 comments:

  1. Coo - love the quilting! Especially the curly quilt stitching to match the curly steam from the coffee. Can I ask, what's the finished article - and how big is it?

    I'm wary of commenting on your 'other hobby', lest I get enveigled - I am flitting moth-like - it's so pretty, clever girl - I love the fabrics, the way it's all put together... fascinated by the patterns and stiching, the language I don't quite understand....

    *Ahem.
    Going to look at planting spreadsheets now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, sounds like we have the potential to "recruit" another quilting person. Don't worry, Mrs Flummery and I are very patient - sounds like we'll get you in the end, I suspect you are already on your way to joining us on the Dark Side {giggle}!!!

    The "things" are placemats, either for a table or a tray, they're 16" long and about 12" deep. None of it is difficult, but can be very time-consuming (we all need a hobby for the winter when it is too wet/cold to garden and too dangerous/expensive to look at seed catalogues), like all hobbies, if you enjoy it then it is lovely and relaxing. It's nice to be able to do something creative, to actually make something that stays made.

    In my life, and I suspect that of many other women, I clean the house - it gets dirty, I do all the laundry - clothes get worn and need washing again, I shop and fill the fridge - we eat and I have to do it again, and so the wheel turns. But with quilting, I create something that stays created! If, at the end of the day, I can look at a pile of patches and see the seams I have sewn then I know in the morning they will still be there. And stroking fabric is soooo therapeutic, much cheaper than booze or pills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bilbo - you are naughty - poor Hazel! let the girl alone! this quilting lark is a really expensive hobby Hazel! but go look at my blog and see if you like what you see......tempting you I know - but - as Bilbo says - it fills the winter evenings - also the days and the summer ones too......etc etc...

    By the way I love the new placemats for your friend! but what has happened to all those half square triangles we 'played' with last November? I thought you were going to do something with those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hazle, there is no hope for you now - but don't panic, quilting doesn't HAVE to be horribly expensive, a bit like gardening - you can spend as much or as little as you want (yeah, right, ever seen me in a well-stocked garden centre with a willing credit card?).

    Granny - ah yes, those HST's. I'll send you a picture . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now look here, you two, stop ganging up on me {grin}!

    I have more than enough to occupy me, at least until the dark evenings...

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}