Sunday, 19 April 2009

First, clean your chainsaw

Doesn't everyone have a dismantled chainsaw in the utility sink on a Sunday morning?

Despite the mad dash to get both chains sharpened and all my cleaning, we didn't even try to start it all weekend. Who would have thought I'd be complaining before the end of April that it was too hot to garden, and certainly too hot to work in thick protective trousers. Another beautiful weekend with temperatures around 15 degrees and most neighbours enjoying their own gardens, we didn't really want to shatter the moment with 90 decibels of Husqvarna!
The sycamore had made a right mess of the saw and the air filter was full of muck


Doesn't mean we had a quiet weekend though:

Many logs moved, Management built a new pile next to the log store which swallowed up a huge amount of timber and provided a nicely sheltered sitting place.


Prunings and general rubbish chopped up and cleared away.


More leylandii rubbish and brush moved so that John will have sufficient access to the cherry stumps when he and his digger arrive.


All the vegetable bed timber moved for same reason.

Management had a "moment" with screws and fences and repaired all the wobbly staves in the back fence AND removed the nails from a section of driveway fence and replaced them with screws so that we can quickly remove them in order to get the digger in.

Plastic compost bin installed next to log store to be a 'kindling bin'. Much raking and removal of weeds in the area between the log store and fence with the happy discovery of a small pile of leaf mould, must have been a dumping ground in the past, and a small pile of very well rotted grass clippings. This area is now - TA DA, drum roll, ready to be dug over prior to planting new hedging. I'll move the leaf mould and composted grass, dig over as much as the roots of the Maple will allow, and then enrich with manure and leaf mould.


It's interesting (well to me at least, and this is my diary) to look back on this time last year and see how far we've come.

There is a distinct danger that very soon we might actually be gardening. That's gardening as in cultivate, grow, plant, nurture as opposed to whatever you call the activity of the last 12 months which feels like non-stop demolition and destruction.

7 comments:

  1. What a great post - you've done so much - well done to you both!

    Is it just me who loves the patterns that the log stacks make?

    Your link isn't working so I've just spent ages looking back though a whole heap of your older posts - it's worth going back to see progress every now and again, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real progress and how exciting to be thinking about real gardening! You won't know what to do with yourself once the last of the leylandii has gone (LOL ducking quickly)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hazel, no - not just you, I too adore the log patterns! When the light catches them just right they are absolutely beautiful.

    I thought I'd caught that broken link before anyone would have visited, guess you're too quick for me, thank you for making sure I knew to fix it.

    Sewali - trust me, I will know EXACTLY what to do with myself - it will involve a rucksack and an OS map {grin}

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two will soon be as fit as butchers' dogs!

    Oddly enough Hazel (though maybe not - we do like similar things) I photographed a close-up of the pattern in someone's log pile on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Butchers' dog? Please don't feed us tripe {giggle}!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hazel - I was just looking at the piles of logs and thinking "what a good quilt that would make"! so you are not alone!!

    Bilbo dear - what an improvement since I last saw it in November! you two have achieved such a lot in the time you have been there.

    Soon you will be buying hedging......have you decided what you will grow? I know about the beech and hazel, but will you have hawthorne? and/or other stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, yes Granny. Current plan (which may well change) is for beech on the side boundary where that small lane is and on the long boundary at the back we're thinking of hawthorn, Dog Rose, hazel, privet, etc., generally all the "usual suspects" one finds in a native hedge.

    Behind that overgrown juniper (the one that comes half way into the garden) we're going to put a few laurel. Evergreen (give us a bit of privacy) and make good sitting places to protect the birds when they are near the feeders. Once that is established we can cut down the juniper which is really past it. Long way to go before we can do that though!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}