Wednesday, 29 October 2008

The weather is not being kind

Rain has driven me indoors after only half an hour of limbing and tidying up. It should have been more like 1½ hours but I made a complete Horlix of putting a new chain on the Husqvarna and lost the best part of an hour to mechanical messing around. Lesson to self - ensure the chain brake is OFF before removing the bar & chain otherwise it is impossible to reassemble everything.

Eventually I realised what I had done wrong, quick call to Keswick Garden Machinery (thank you John) to confirm I was right. I was less than happy with the advice "you won't be able to fix it yourself, takes a huge amount of brute strength to reset the brake, just bring it down here and I will do it for you". Wrong answer on a day when I have a slow puncture on a front tyre and cannot find the pump in order to make it safe enough to drive to the garage. Those who know me know better than to tell me I cannot do something. Ten minutes and not too much brute force later the chainsaw was reassembled and working beautifully.

It is not the end of the world, I learnt more about how the saw works and have subsequently located the foot pump for the car tyre!

2 comments:

  1. Please ask it to be kind next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing what sheer stubboness enables you to do, eh?

    And you can now add 'stripping and reassembling a chain saw' to your list of life skills!

    You're making so much progress - it's all looking good from here, and I can't wait to see your bonfire pics too!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}