Saturday, 11 October 2008

She came back! (NOT for the squeamish)


THESE PICTURES ARE NOT PRETTY, IF THEY ARE GOING TO UPSET YOU, PLEASE DON'T LOOK AT THIS BLOG TODAY.





I thought this was a female Sparrowhawk and was delighted when Sewali's lumberjack (a.k.a. bird watching oracle) confirmed:

"If Bilbo is watching a sparrowhawk eat a pigeon(i.e. wood pigeon) it will be a female sparrowhawk, the males are too small to take one. "

So, she came back - these pictures taken whilst perched on the new sink in the Utility Room window (I knew it would be useful for more than washing walking boots). After 20 minutes or so she was obviously being bothered by the continued driving rain and the attention of some large Magpies who realised there was potential for carrion.









She half-flew/half-carried the pigeon carcass to the edge of the garden where trees provided some shelter, the remains nearly as big as herself and she could barely get off the ground. From this new position my little camera could not cope - too far away, light too poor and this is what happens when the autofocus picked up the glass instead of the garden.



With sights like this becoming more than an occasional event, I really need to get to Carlisle and get my hands on the DSLRs that are on our shortlist!

The other excitement is we now have confirmed sightings this summer of both a female and a male - wonder if they might do the decent thing and produce babies next year?

1 comment:

  1. What surprised me when I saw a sparrowhawk eating her kill was the bloodlessness of the act. I sort of thought it would be a charnel house but it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}