Sunday, 3 August 2008

Breakfast babies

All of a sudden there are baby birds around - everywhere! Difficult to photograph because they won't keep still for very long but we are currently "raising" Blue Tits, Great Tits, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Robins and this gorgeous family who came for peanuts at 8.00 this morning. Long-Tailed Tits - one of my favourite birds, such companionable and friendly little people, they always make me smile. Just wish they'd learn how to sit still in front of the camera.


There appear to be seven Long-Tailed Tits in this picture, plus the daftest baby Greenfinch (?) - it finds somewhere comfortable and just sits, and sits, and sits. Sometimes it is in the middle of the food, sometimes on the edge of the water tray, I have a horrid feeling it is going to be target practise for a Sparrowhawk.



What is the collective noun for a bunch of Great Tits who will not stay still, a flurry? Think there are 9 in this picture:

2 comments:

  1. Himself always says long-tailed tits remind him of flying lollipops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A "fidget" of great tits?

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}