Friday, 4 July 2008

Wonderful things happen when you don't cut the grass

I know I am a little strange (please restrain yourself when leaving comments) but maintaining a bowling-green quality lawn has got to be one of the biggest WOMBATs in the garden (Waste of Money, Botanics and Time). Beautifully manicured lawns might look nice but they are wildlife wasteland and an awful lot of effort. I have always wanted a garden where there was enough room to leave grass to grow really long without it making the entire plot look like a neglected mess, I think now I might have enough space!

We do have a couple of mown areas with wide paths through the rest to give access.



The seedheads are so delicate


Selfheal (Prunella vulgaris) has sprung up in large areas


Who needs orchids when Selfheal is this beautiful? (apologies to Jill and James for insulting the beautiful orchids they photograph, and full credit to James for identifying this is not Bugle!).


Rubbish photo but the mixture of Selfheal, Celandine and Clover is really pretty (the quilter in me is thinking of complimentary colours and mentally selecting fabrics).


A long way to go before I have the 'classic' wildflower meadow but it is a good start!

3 comments:

  1. Our only remaining 'grass' is a very small wildflower meadow. It's full of frogs at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have at last 'mown' the front 'grass' - it was full of yellow daisy type flowers rising from a flat rosette of leaves - also purple and white clover and of course daisies - it looked very pretty - but you felt that this was NOT the place for a real meadow! and I don't think my garden is big enough to accommodate one either! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect habitat for a huge range of insects, and great butterfly and bee food.

    Maybe you will get some barn owl ^W^W voles setting up home in there ;)

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}