Thursday, 17 July 2008

Making progress, a little bit at a time

Did fairly well yesterday and, for once, did not work myself into exhaustion but bimbled around from one job to another (which is probably why I never actually get anything completed in the garden).


Now have easier and wider access through to the Coppice. It isn't going to stay this open and accessible, a few years down the line I would like the planting in the garden to half obscure this area so that you don't see all of it unless you make the effort to walk up there.


Also hacked back the two remaining sections of hedge which were in danger of catching the eye of a careless pedestrian using all the cut branches to make a dead-hedge. This serves to prevent the Hairy One from wandering to the edge of the wall and means I don't have to think about disposing of another pile of rubbish until sometime in the future! Discovered we have lost a coping stone from the top of the wall - there was so much ivy covering it that we'd not noticed before.


Had a go at digging to see what the soil is like in the area that will, eventually, be a huge mixed bed. Only an area about half a square yard but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Loads of ivy root (I think I will come to hate that nearly as much as bindweed!) but no stones and a few earthworms. It's not brilliant but it could be much, much worse. Cleaning up this soil is going to take a very, very long time but that is OK - as long as I do it properly then I will only ever have to do it once.

Rain prevents any more hard work today. Have been into Cockermouth to do some errands (and Hairy One came too and had a paddle in the River Cocker) so I get to mess around in the house for the rest of the day which is no bad thing!

4 comments:

  1. Worms are a very good sign. I have ivy root in the bed I cleared this year for cutting flowers. I can see that I'll just have to chop it back every year. It's coming into the hedge from next door.

    You are going to have some VERY interesting Secret Garden areas in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Flum, I'd like to think that in a few years we might have one of those gardens that you have to "investigate" to find all the areas but in truth I don't know if I can pull it off - anything that tends to look effortless usually involves a lot of hard work and skill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did the mouse eat the elephant? One bite at a time. You'll get there in the end :o). Hope you had fun pottering around the house this afternoon. Dull here, but no real rain yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ali, a really exciting afternoon (not). Time to renew car insurance - thank goodness for online comparison sites (especially when all three come up with the same insurer as the best value). AND another reason to have moved - last year my premium was over £400, this year it is a little over £200, the only difference is our postcode (I know I ought not start a sentence with a preposition, sorry).

    P.S. I don't want to eat an elephant, I am semi-vegetarian

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}