Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Dactylorhiza fuchsii

Which is Common Spotted Orchid to the rest of us!


Rain is interfering with plans to clear a proper path through to The Coppice so I have time to post the latest new arrival at Bag End. Thanks to James and Jill for identifying this beauty - I have found two plants in the grass that has been left uncut. There is NO WAY that the places it is growing (one in the front and one at the back) will be mown now.

I'm including part of Jill's email; nothing is ever simple at Bag End!
" It is certainly a common spotted flower but interestingly my book says "This orchid is identifiable by the dark, rounded blotches on its shiny deep green leaves" they obviously have never seen yours LOL"
(I had sent Jill another photo of just the leaves)

1 comment:

  1. They seems to like semi-shade and a moist, well-drained soil slightly on the acid side.

    I guess if they're found their way to you, adopting a sympathetic mowing pattern and avoiding soil enrichment should help to promote favourable conditions.

    Let's hope that next year you can report a few more flower spikes. Bring on the Early Purples and Pyramidals too :)

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}