Friday, 20 June 2008

Thursday, 19th June 2008

3.00pm

Ullock Pike visible but Skiddaw in cloud

Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head and Grasmoor ridge

I was so pleased yesterday when I could not see any of the fells thanks to rain-laden clouds. This afternoon it is much brighter but Skiddaw and Grasmoor are still in hiding. We need the rain so very badly, the first proper downpour since early May.

I was not quite so pleased when some of that rain decided to cascade into the sitting room. Each of the large windows had, once upon a time, a stylish ("not") and very 70's light fitting. These had been removed before we arrived at Bag End but the sockets remain.

(Nice decorating, huh?)

On one side the old cable has acted as a conduit for lots of rainwater. Our carpenter friend Brian visited this morning to see if he could identify the problem; we've ruled out a couple of possible suspects (lead flashing around the chimney, etc.,) so am now waiting for "Dale the roofer" to come and see what is going on.



A sense of humour failure followed when I found three other small damp patches in the loft as a result of the underfelt being old and starting to deteriorate. This was not helped by an attack of claustrophobia when I was trying to position some left-over loft boards under the eaves above the sitting room leak so that anyone trying to work up there could safely get across the joists. I am ~NEVER~ going to try potholing.

Misery was soon dismissed when I turned on the TV news at lunchtime. 5 million acres of farmland in Missouri, Iowa and Illinois are under water. Hundreds if not thousands of families are going to lose not just their homes but their entire towns as the Mississippi River breaks its banks. It puts a bucket of rainwater in the sitting room firmly into proportion.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like the Bag End bucket to the rescue!

    Let's hope for a dry spell so that you can get it all sorted. Then it will be the summer holidays and it will rain anyway...

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}