Monday, 2 June 2008

Garden Gallery

Some of the blooms I photographed during May which didn't make it onto the diary. Amongst the ground elder, nettles and couch grass there are some very welcome additions to the garden which are slowly showing themselves.

Columbine or Granny's Bonnet (Aquilegia vulgaris)



Speedwell (Veronica chamaedrys) looks great in the lawn, heaven help the first idiot who tells me I need to apply "weed & feed".



Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum)



Struggling for space, light and air in the Secret Garden is a Lilac. Currently swamped by Leylandii and a Silver Birch it will get a severe cut back once the flowers are over and most likely I will not have any blooms next year but in the end the plant will be much better for it.



Weigela (not sure which one) that is desperately trying to escape as 90% of it is falling over the fence into the lane.



A pretty Aubretia near the front door



Ferns cropping up unexpectedly all over the place



I thought this was Cow Parsley but it may well be Sweet Cicely (Myrrhis odorata).



I have James to thank for this; he keeps telling me about books that I cannot resist. This is a wonderful little gem:



According to this lovely book "all parts [Sweet Cicely] are edible, with an aniseed flavour. Roots are eaten raw in salads, boiled as vegetable; leaves raw in salads or boiled like spinach. Added to tarts and puddings it acts as a sweetener, especially of tart fruits. In Cumbria the seeds, finely ground and mixed with beeswax, are used as a wood polish".
© Laurie Fallows, 2004

Until I am 100% sure of the identification, I will not be attempting any culinary experiments.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Cicily will smell strongly of aniseed Bilbo. Especially, I find, if you crush the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs Flummery, when I took Hairy Four Paws out this morning I had a good look at Cow Parsley in the hedgerow - it is definitely not the same as the plant I photographed in the garden ... when it is not quite so wet I will go and pinch a couple of C.P. leaves and put them next to a S.C. leaf and take a photo - once that is on the blog I am sure we can confirm what it is. However, as I loath aniseed (don't ever give me fennel) I will not be eating it anyway, however, it will be nice to know what I have got!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}