Tuesday, 6 May 2008

Lessons learnt at Rannerdale Cottage

A lovely bimbly day, first a trip to the river with Mr Hairy Four Paws, then a couple of hours being thoroughly nosy at Rannerdale Cottage followed by a short stroll up the valley past the bluebell area up to the second footbridge.

Lessons learnt from the garden at Rannerdale Cottage:

1. A shelter belt is key. Areas protected by dense hedge were completely sheltered from the wind whilst I was nearly blown off my feet in some of the open areas.





2. Compartments. Creating "rooms" is nothing new, apparently the basic design of the garden was laid out in the 1930's, and the different areas in this garden give a lovely sense of intimacy in what would otherwise be a wild and windswept place.



3. Many plants, especially perennials which I might have considered too tender for the winds around here, are doing extremely well.





Lots of pictures to remind me what I saw, if I leave them on my hard disk they will get forgotten. I prefer a more dense planting scheme with a variety of evergreen and deciduous shrubs but the basic division and shape of this garden was a delight.





Looking down over the garden from the path leading from Cinderdale Common to the bluebells.



Lots of background noise on the video clips, it was exceptionally windy.



3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have certainly got some ideas there. Am I right in assuming that the eastern aspect is of a similar size to the western - I never did get the full 360 tour ;)

    Getting a nice hedge in place of the leylandii massacre should give you your shelter from the prevailing westerlies at least, whilst looking a whole lot better.

    It will be interesting to see how you utilise the space over the coming years as you knock seventies "design" into something a little more aesthetically appealing. A long term project for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to get a viewing from inside. We've walked past countless times, admiring from the road, buit never when it has been open gardens. No doubt we'll be walking past again soon (BIG grin) on our hols!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your walk has paid of then with lots of ideas for your own garden.

    We too have bluebells in the local woods - quite a carpet of them - lovely!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}