Monday, 14 April 2008

On feeding Red Squirrel

Squirrels whose diet consists primarily of peanuts can develop calcium deficiency which is why those of us of daft disposition buy hazelnuts at five times the price of peanuts ...



However, no-one appears to have told this squirrel that peanuts aren't particularly good for it.



I could resort to putting anti-squirrel cages around all the bird feeders but most of the cages are sized to keep out greys so they'd be no use here.

They also display a fondness for apples which were put out for the blackbirds. They will not eat the skin but seem to enjoy the soft flesh and leave tell-tale toothmarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}