Wednesday, 26 March 2008

And not just Red Squirrel

I'm going to be kept busy maintaining my Garden Bird Watch records!

So far we have seen the following avian visitors

Robin (at least four, possibly more)
Blackbird (up to five on one occasion)
Song Thrush
Goldfinch (at least 11, maybe more)
Greenfinch
Bullfinch (male and female)
Crow
Blue Tit
Long-Tailed Tit (pair)
Great Tit (pair)
Magpie
Collared Dove
Wood Pigeon

and this rather splendid chap who wanders around most days, Phasianus colchicus, or Ring-necked Pheasant to you and me.



Yesterday a Kestrel spent much time hovering over the hedge at the bottom of the drive and early one morning I'm fairly certain I saw a hare just outside the back fence. There are at least two Tawny Owl whose Twit and Twooo is very loud late at night when Mr Hairy Four-Paws gets taken for his bedtime constitutional.

We are truly blessed to already have this much wildlife in the garden. I've just watched a small bird making regular trips into one of the ornamental conifers with nesting material in her mouth (couldn't tell what it was, the sun was in my eyes) so we're going to have to be very careful with the tree surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}